Job Methods Training (JM) is the second program of the Training within Industry group. It teaches supervisors the procedure to improve how to do the job continuously. It focuses on improvements to get more quality products in less time with the effective use of the resources available. Supervisors and employees learn how to improve processes by breaking them down into smaller steps questioning each one as a way to generate improvement ideas.
JM teaches four steps to improve the job, break down the job, question every detail, develop a new method for performing the job, and then apply it. See the program summary taken from the JM card, at the end of the post.
The first step of the Job Methods Training is to break down the Job
- Use the Job Breakdown sheet to list each step and detail of the job as it’s currently performed.
- Be sure to include all aspects of material handling, machine work, and work performed by hand.
Question every detail
- Review the list of job steps and details and question each one.
- Ask questions using the 5W’s and 1H
- Why is this necessary?
- What’s the purpose?
- Where’s the best place to do it?
- When is the best time to do it?
- Who’s the worker that’s most qualified/most appropriate to do it?
- How is the best way to do it?
- Also, question every other detail related to the job task, like materials, equipment, workplace layout, process flow, and housekeeping.
Develop new job methods to perform the job
- Eliminate unnecessary steps and details
- Combine steps to reduce waste when it is possible
- Put steps into the best sequence (order)
- Simplify all details possible, like motion, layout, tools, and handling.
- Work out and review your ideas with other workers
- Write up a proposal
Apply the new method
- Begin the process of getting change approved and implemented
- Get approval based on considerations related to safety, quality, quantity, and cost
- Implement change
- Make sure people involved in proposing change get due credit or recognition.
If all this sounds familiar, is because it is. You heard this before when we talk about how to create Standard Work to solve problems. Once you prove the new method accomplishes the purpose of getting more quality products in less time using effectively the resources available, it is time to create the new standard.
One thought on “What is the Job Methods Training Program?”