Ask any company leader what their most important asset is, and they will answer the same, their employees. But is that true or just the convenient collective answer? If it is true, then words are translated into daily actions. Companies show they care about their employees with actions, not fancy statements or values hanging on the walls.
The best way to show a company cares about its employees is to build a culture of respect, trust, inclusion, and collaboration. That is an environment where all members feel valued and trust to share their ideas without fear. Moreover, it is a place where leaders listen and take time to know the person behind the position. Also, leaders would take time to develop their skills and help them to reach their potential.
Some ways companies show they care
Although nothing beats those things, it will not hurt if companies offer good benefits. Leaders and companies committed to making their team a priority take the time to put together an attractive benefits package.
We all heard regarding companies that provide food and snacks services for free, video games, ping-pong tables, and more. Those perks sound nice but are they what their employees want? A different option is to take the time to know what their employees’ value or need to craft a nice set of benefits.
Ways to show you care about their well-being
It is quite common to offer wellness programs as part of the benefits. Examples of those programs are on-site weight management, high blood pressure or diabetes clinics, and gym subscriptions. Unfortunately, sometimes those are offered by companies that show no respect for their employees’ health. Ensure that your company does not foster or accept attitudes and behaviors that create a toxic environment. Also, promote adequate rest, ask your team to take their time off.
Align perks, culture, and values to create a positive environment that fosters creativity and well-being. The following examples are ways to show that you care about the person behind the position.
- Give new parents time to be home
- Encourage healthy behaviors by providing options for healthy foods. Revise what kind of snacks you offer in the vending machines. Do they match your health message?
- Promote doing exercise with internal tournaments of popular sports like basketball or baseball.
- Advertise ways to relax during their breaks while encouraging learning and skills development. For example, create a small library with magazines and books. The library can be a corner with comfy chairs, adequate lighting, and a bookshelf.
- Promote using stand-up desks or converters.
- Create a walking path around the building for your employees to walk during their breaks. If there is enough space, a small garden would be nice too!
Give back to the community
Another way to make your employees feel appreciated is by showing respect and care for their communities. Once again, align these programs with your company values. Above all, align them with your actions. For instance, do not say your company cares about the environment and then dump toxic waste down the creek.
- Encourage volunteerism with days off
- Help them help the community by creating teams to participate in efforts to participate in non-profit activities.
- Promote and actively participate in recycling efforts.
- Team-up with local companies and provide discounts for buying solar panels or other types of sustainable energy.
When companies show they care, great things happen
Caring for your employees is a way to show respect. Employee appreciation is the right thing to do. Also, it is good for the business. Employees that feel appreciated by their leaders are more engaged and productive. When they perceive that they can grow professionally and build meaningful relationships, their job satisfaction will be higher. Therefore, they will be willing to contribute to the well-being of the company.